Thursday, February 7, 2008

SMIRNOFF: An experience in ghetto-strobism

S M I R N O F F
Now I, like countless others, regularly check out David Hobby's popular Strobist Blog. Often I'll look through the gear pages, again and again, dreaming of a day where I'll own a set of fabled Pocket Wizards or another flash. However all this gear costs money - too much money.

After drinking a little bit of this bottle (not enough that I couldn't hold my camera), me and some friends hatched a brilliant plan to capture the essence of Smirnoff's Blue Label Vodka.

The epitomy of ghetto-strobism, this shot was acieved with just the help of a few friends and a 430EX. The bottle of vodka was rested on an orange pallet, which lent itself to the orange glow eminating from the bottom of the frame.

Underneath the pallet, and below the bottle one friend held my 430EX. It was set to either 1/8 or 1/16 power. Once I had focused with the lights on, another friend would turn the lights off. On a count of 3-2-1 I took the photo (half a second at f/5.6). While the shutter was open, the flash was fired.

To throw some light back on to the labels of the bottle, I got two other friends to hold some sheets of A4 paper as makeshift 'reflectors'.

Considering how it was done, I'm very pleased with the results.

No comments: